Pick to Light Systems & Put to Light Systems
Pick-to-light systems and put-to light systems are comprised of lighted displays attached to the pick face of each SKU. The lighting configuration can be customized to the distribution center’s needs. These displays can be fixed to any type of racking or shelving system, whether it be existing or new build.
How It Works
An example of how a pick-to light operation can work is it can have two different colored lights and a barcode. All lights in a row can be shown as red. Once the operator scans the order identifier in a zone, the lighted display for that item will turn from red to green, showing the operator where they need to go. Once there, they will scan the barcode on the pick face, and it will tell them how many of that item to pick.
One example of put-to-light would be a pick to tote operation. Once it’s picked to the totes, those totes are then brought to the put wall. The operator then scans the tote. The put wall then lights up for each cube that requires that product and displays the amount needed.
Submit Your Inquiry
Is It Right for Your Operation?
If you’re looking to give your order pickers clearer instruction and expedite the order fulfillment process, this may be a good option. Ideal applications for pick-to-light and put-to-light include:
- Operations that have high-density, high-speed picking applications requiring 300-500 lines per man-hour pick rates.
- Distribution centers that have a team-based approach to order fulfillment, such as zone picking operations.
- Distribution centers that fluctuate the number of workers needed based on seasons. This is because less training is required for an employee to be able to pick properly.
Advantages of Pick-to-Light Systems and Put-to-Light Systems
Pick-to-light and put-to-light have a relatively low hardware and install cost compared to other automation options, especially when you consider some of the other advantages:
- Reduction in picking and placing errors: it’s been shown to provide up to 99.6% picking and placing accuracy.
- Reduced labor costs: these systems allow more productivity per operator.
- Low hardware and install cost for automation: these can be installed right to the pick face via a plastic channel tek screwed.
- Shortened order fulfillment cycle times.
- Reduced training time for new employees.
Your Next Step for a Pick-to-Light or Put-to-Light System
There are a number of pick-to-light system and put-to-light system providers out there. Whether your next step is to gather more information or request a quote, consider REB Storage Systems.
REB is highly knowledgeable and experienced in designing, engineering, and installing automation and racking solutions. We will make sure your system is the best fit for your SKU profiles and space. We work with you to provide a turnkey system. From engineering, design, product procurement, subcontractor management, install, and permitting support, REB handles it all for you.
REB is a highly experienced systems integrator, in business since 1962. REB has 17 in-house project managers and engineers, all highly experienced in the material handling industry. These people know this industry inside and out.
We’d appreciate the opportunity to help you further, whether that be more information or a quote. Fill in the contact form or call 800-252-5955 to get in touch with a REB representative.