Voice Picking System
Voice picking systems are automated picking systems that can be much more efficient than picking via paper or RF transmitters. The operator does not have to ‘look down’ to reference their next steps. This results in higher accuracy as well as seconds saved with each step the operator must make (which quickly adds up!).
How It Works
Voice picking systems utilize headsets and wireless scanners to enable hands-free, single-touch pick and pack operation.
With voice picking, the operator is directed by the voice command via the headset for each step in the process. The voice command can be customized to each company’s specific operation.
Here’s an example of the steps taken in a voice pick:
- The voice command will tell the operator that they are to ‘cart pick’ (as opposed to fork truck pick).
- The operator lets the voice command know once they’re at the cart pick location.
- The voice command will direct them to put box size A in position 1, box size C in position 2, and box size D in position 3 on the cart. The operator will confirm once completed.
- The voice command will then direct them to go to the pick locations for each box, providing the optimized pick path.
Submit Your Inquiry
Is It Right for Your Operation?
Pick by voice does not require hardware installation on the racking system. It is often considered better suited and overall more cost effective for larger DC’s than, for example, pick-to-light.
Other ideal applications for voice picking systems include:
- Distribution centers that distribute items which are regulated and require a scan verification. This is often found with pharmaceuticals, medical supplies and food distributors.
- Distribution centers that have a large distribution center and distribute high volumes of SKUs.
- Distribution centers that fluctuate the number of workers needed based on seasons.
- Distribution centers that regularly reconfigure pick locations.
Voice Picking Advantages
Integrating voice technology into your operation can be very beneficial versus paper picking or picking via RF transmitters. It reduces the likelihood of errors, since the picker won’t ‘misread’ the instruction. Additionally, each second saved not looking down to read (and reread) the instruction will end up saving a lot of time for your operation.
Other advantages of voice picking include:
- Increased pick accuracy – up to 99.99%!
- Increased pick volume per worker.
- Can eliminate packing operators.
- Integration of picking and fulfillment processes, yielding greater efficiency from pick to shipment
- New employee training time reduced by up to 50%.
- Turnover rate reduced by 15% to 30%.
- Safety incidents reduced by 5% to 20%.
Your Next Step for a Voice Picking System
There are a number of voice picking system providers out there. Whether your next step is to gather more information or request a quote, consider REB Storage Systems. REB is a highly experienced systems integrator, in business since 1962. REB has 17 in-house project managers and engineers, all highly experienced in the material handling industry. These people know this industry inside and out.
REB is highly knowledgeable and experienced in designing, engineering, and installing voice picking and other automation and racking solutions. We will make sure your system is the best fit for your SKU profiles and space. We work with you to provide a turnkey system. From engineering, design, products procurement, subcontractor management, install, and permitting support, REB handles it all for you.
We’d appreciate the opportunity to help you further, whether that be more information or a quote. Fill in the contact form or call 800-252-5955 to get in touch with a REB representative.